The youngest practitioner in Malaysia to be named Recognized Practitioner by Chambers Asia Paciﬁc in 2018, Jian who was also ranked Next Generation Lawyer by Legal 500 that same year handles complex and contentious litigation with a wealth of experience focus in IP, having trained it in since his first year of practice.
Jian began his career in Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill. He was made Partner in 2018 before joining Gan Partnership 3 years later.
In addition to litigation, Jian advises on protection, management and monetization of IP for his clients which include Fortune 500 entities, domestic and international public listed companies, government linked companies and tech startups.
Jian went on to be awarded further recognition the following year when he was ranked Next Generation Lawyer by Legal 500, Up and Coming Lawyer by Chambers Asia Pacific, Future Star by Benchmark Litigation and together with Bahari Yeow formed part of the team that won Firm of the Year by World Trademark Review.
In his pro bono capacity, he is a panel judge for an annual international moot competition.
Some significant matters which Jian has involved in:
- Manages the local and international portfolios of intellectual property rights for numerous Malaysian entities ranging from public listed conglomerates to individuals.
- Manages the local portfolios of intellectual property rights for numerous foreign clients ranging from Fortune 500 entities to startups.
- Acted for the biggest technology company in the world in an opposition against the largest watchmaker group in the world.
- Advised a European oil & gas giant in a multi-jurisdictional patent dispute involving a patented Russian diagnostics technology.
- Advised a Fortune 500 company on the advertising, labelling, and packaging for alcoholic drinks from the perspective of Malaysian laws.
- Advised a French high fashion luxury goods brand on Malaysian media and advertising law.
- Advised a leading Japanese electronics manufacturer trademark cancellation and protection regarding their legacy trademarks.
- Advised an American 20+ time Grammy Award winning artist on protection of image rights.
- Advised an American multinational enterprise information technology company on a technology agreement.
- Advised an Embassy of a European country on the prevention of registration of marks wrongly indicating a geographic reference which may affect its country’s reputation worldwide.
- Advised one of the world’s largest food chains in trademark and advertising disputes.
- Advised the largest car park manager in Japan pertaining to a complex copyright ownership dispute in an app for parking management and payment collection.
- Assisted in litigation for an American global aerospace, defense, security and advanced technologies company in a global trademark dispute pertaining to advanced laser guided weaponry.
- Represented a European telecommunications company on a dispute pertaining to wrongful use of telecommunications equipment and distribution of telecommunications services in Malaysia.
- Represented a German premium automobile brand against counterfeit goods in Malaysia.
- Represented a national communications and multimedia authority in almost 100 cases.
- Represented a telecommunications company against a former distributor in a rare case of competing rights in a domain name.
- Represented one of the Big Tobacco in a cross-border infringement litigation, involving multiple areas of law trademarks, customs and free trade law.
- Represented the largest Malaysian automobile-maker in a trade mark infringement and copyright dispute.
Among others, Jian has been recognized by independent rankers and client testimonials as, inter alia:
- “first rate”
- “subject matter experts who provide fast responses, customized service and flexible arrangements”
- “leverages its unparalleled attentiveness, commitment and enthusiasm in client work to set the gold standard in cost-effectiveness, expertise and commercial acumen for top-tier law firms“
- “go the extra mile in order to secure the most favorable outcomes”.
- “Amazing work quality aside… extra careful around situations of potential conflict of interest.”
- “With a detailed understanding of the client’s business and how various areas of law are interconnected, they show a high degree of agility and creativity, with robust expertise in industry-specific regulations and consumer protection to boot”.
- “…the kind of lawyer who “open to discussing legal arguments and ideas with clients and render well-considered and commercially attuned advice”
- “ability in capturing and distilling complex technical notions into plain language makes it easy for clients’ easy comprehension and decision-making”
- “resourceful, eﬃcient, accommodating, committed and solution-driven”
- “thinks outside the box.”
Jian has authored/ co-authored various publications including:
- Trade Marks Act chapter of the Malaysian Civil Procedure (Sweet & Maxwell, 2015)
- Trade Marks Act chapter of the Malaysian Civil Procedure (Sweet & Maxwell, 2018)
- Intellectual Property, Global Comparative Guide (the Legal 500 Series, 2017)
- Media, Advertising, and Entertainment Law Throughout the World (Multilaw, 2018)
- Expert Guide — Intellectual Property (2018)
- Trademark Navigator (Lexology, 2019)
- Copyright Q&A (Chambers, 2019)
- Patent Litigation Guide (Chambers, 2019)
- Trademark Guide (Chambers, 2019)
- The In-House Lawyer (Legal 500)
- Corporate Disputes Magazine – Trademark (Financier Worldwide, 2019)
- Trademarks 2020 Law and Practice in Malaysia
- Copyright 2020 Law and Practice in Malaysia
- Patent Litigation 2020 Law and Practice in Malaysia